Question:
Where are the safest seats on an airplane (given possibility of crashing etc., and other possible problems)?
Mishy
2006-05-22 11:23:48 UTC
On a trip in September where it was 'bumpy' the whole way there and the whole way back, I became very afraid of flying. I guess the plane was at an altitude where there's lots of turbulence.... Thanks to surviving that flight I'm a born-again Christian (I 'bargained' with God -- that I would go to church every Sunday if He'd save me from that flight --now I'm in choir, etc. and of course now my faith goes beyond just that!). Since that flight in September, I was recently on a flight on a small plane, and it was SOOOOOOO bumpy on the way down --

I just got a new job, where potentially I may be travelling... How can I get beyond my fears of flying? I'm just so scared -- especially since I know airlines are strapped for money, working their pilots to death, etc. Pilots have even been caught drunk in the cockpit.... aptly named, by the way....:)
Four answers:
2006-05-22 13:47:31 UTC
When I worked with a former FAA editor 13 years ago, she said that statistically the back of the plane was safest--ie, most likelihood of survival in case of a crash. Of course that was 13 years ago, so statistically it might be different now, but I don't think the design of commercial aeroplanes have changed that much.
fffrrreeeddd
2006-05-23 16:09:50 UTC
It doesn't matter. When has a plane ever crashed and only some people survive? Everyone either dies or survives. If a plane crashes into a mountain - the pilots die first - the people in th back die last. Sit where you like.
2006-05-22 18:26:21 UTC
The Wings.

I understand this is the strongest part of the plane

(Also, its nearer the emergency doors).
Misch
2006-05-24 06:15:43 UTC
The emergency doors next to the wings...you get out first and then you can feel good about helping everyone else get out