Question:
Air fare: business class is cheaper than economy?? doesn't make sense!?
2010-10-24 15:21:55 UTC
I'm planning a trip to nicaragua this winter, and I was looking up some ticket information on American Airline, and I found that some business class tickets are cheaper than economy class. This does not make sense. Can anybody explain why this is so? I mean there must be a catch, but I'm not an expert in this industry.

Here's where I found the info.
http://www.aa.com/reservation/filterFlightSearch.do?sn=0&selectedRadio=¤tDepDate=12122010¤tRetDate=12202010

Look at the business special section. Some are $425 while economy class is $500+.
Four answers:
sarah w
2010-10-24 15:47:22 UTC
I work for an Airline in the UK but I'm sure things work the same with all of them - there is no catch involved: if most of the seats in economy are already booked but not many advance bookings have been made in Business Class it makes more sense to sell the Business Class tickets at a reasonable price than just sell all economy tickets and then have to upgrade people for free on the day when economy is overbooked. Many people will just automatically book a ticket in economy without considering looking at business class fares. Also, if you have a fantastic flight in Business and love the experience they always hope it will make you consider always flying that way in the future even if the price is a little higher! My advice - don't worry about a catch, book that nice seat, have a fantastic holiday and enjoy a pampered flight.
Russell C
2010-10-24 18:59:42 UTC
Hmm...interesting. The economy instant upgrade is $578 while the business special is $425. I would call the airlines to find out what "Business Special" is. I don't know, but here are a few guesses.

1. There are a few seats in the front of economy or back of business that give you an "in between" amount of legroom, that is, less than business but more than economy.

2. It is business class but highly restricted. Non-changeable, non-refundable, you have to leave on a Thursday between 7 and 9 pm, have at least one Saturday night stay, and return on a Monday or Tuesday between 6 and 9 am, or Wednesday after 9 pm.

3. They are quoting that fare one way, because all of the others require a round-trip purchase.

4. It is an extremely difficult to find fare class. Two seats are available on the most unpopular flights, just to make the offer legal. You'll be so frustrated trying to find that fare available you'll give up and book another fare.

Read the rules carefully before you buy that ticket.
2010-10-25 03:25:04 UTC
Sarah has it about right. Airlines sell seats in tranches starting about ten months prior to departure with the cheapest tickets. As these sell out the airline releases more at a higher price and so it goes on. When seats in a particular cabin sell well they can overtake the cost of seats in the next class. This seems to be what has happened here. The term "Business Special" refers to the cheapest and therefor most restricted business class ticket. The restrictions will be around the no changes, no refund type of thing. You will get a business class seat, lounge access, priority boarding and all that stuff, so if you know your dates of travel and are willing to stick to them, grab a bargain!
bridgette
2016-10-20 02:10:06 UTC
it relatively is an improve for a particular flight (one way or around-holiday). in basic terms think of many human beings paying for financial gadget fares, flying many situations a year, and seating on corporation type. dropping proposition for the airways.